[Foundation-l] Living Person Task Force update: Policy writing

Keegan Peterzell keegan.wiki at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 21:13:53 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Apoc 2400 <apoc2400 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > The recommendations draft
> > is just about ready to move into finalized writing in a couple weeks
> >

> http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Task_force/Living_People/Drafting_pages/Recommendations_to_the_Board_of_Trustees/Draft_2
> >

> It look ok, but coming from enwiki most of it seems rather obvious. It this
> recommendation mostly intended for smaller wikis that may not have
> developed
> clear BLP rules?
>
> The exception is the end of the last item:
>
> > [...] and content is suggested to be removed if the result of a deletion
> > debate determines that there is no consensus to keep the hosted content.
> >
> which appears be meant to force "no consensus means delete" onto English
> Wikipedia. Is that correct?
>
> Can you tell me if any of the other items are meant to impose changes on
> enwp?
>
> Btw, are there logs from the March 15 IRC meeting?
>
> Thanks,
> Apoc2400

Hi there.

The meeting on the fifteenth didn't come together, I was busy with offline
life last week and didn't get much work done onwiki.

The recommendations are, as you say, culled from the fairly obvious.  They
are meant as a "best practices" approach for smaller projects that have no
local policies on living people, or are starting to develop them.  As for
the deletion part, that's just a suggestion and won't change the face of the
English Wikipedia's deletion policies, unless of course they decide to do so
on their own after discussion.

The idea is that we can write a global living person policy, the "light"
version, which will serve as the default policy for projects without their
own, and provide the framework for projects that have a policy in place  or
are working on developing them.  The recommendations are just advice, not
an enforceable tool.

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan