[Foundation-l] Wikiversity

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Mar 18 15:54:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> If Jimmy wishes to discuss the matter
> with the WMF board he can definitely do that and, if a majority of the
> board agrees with him, they can take action, but Jimmy has no power to
> act unilaterally if a community doesn't want him to.

Agreed, but I was hoping that any such board discussion would be made
public.  I don't see any reason a discussion of shutting down Wikiversity
needs to be made private and confidential, and I'd urge the members of the
board to speak up and let us know what's going on.

The Wikimedia Foundaton prides itself in being one of the most open
non-profit organizations around.  I hope they'll extend that to discussions
of shutting down a fairly major project.

For what it's worth, I think it's probably a good idea to shut down
Wikiversity.  Wikiversity hasn't to my knowledge achieved anything of note.
But only by having this discussion in public can we be sure that all the
factors have been considered.