[Foundation-l] FlaggedRevisions status (March 2010)

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 22:14:40 UTC 2010

William Pietri wrote:
> On 03/04/2010 10:57 AM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:
>
>> Purely as a point of fact it is simply inaccurate that the
>> 20 implementations of flagged revs and patrolled edits
>> across the other wikies than English Wikipedia are
>> monolithically identical. I know this firsthand.
>>

> Sorry if I gave that impression. Indeed, I have direct evidence
> otherwise. When I run low on things to worry about, I pull up the
> spreadsheet I built showing the wide config variations in uses of
> FlaggedRevs. Not that it's worrying on its own; it's nice to see people
> using it and adapting it locally. It just means that potential bugs are
> harder to spot.
>
> All I was trying to say is that the requested approach for the English
> Wikipedia, called Flagged Protection,  differs from the existing uses.

And as such, follows the pattern of all the other existing
implementations; in so much as they differ from each
others. So throwing this conformance with established
implementations nature into the conversation is not too
significant.

For there to be a significant divergence from the
pattern of adapting as we go, there really needs to
be a qualitative difference to the divergence, not
just a noting down that the English Wikipedia
like all others, diverges.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen