[Foundation-l] Sue Gardner, Erik Möller , William Pietri: Where is FlaggedRevisions?

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Mon Mar 1 03:32:03 UTC 2010

William Pietri wrote:
> If people have questions like this, I'd encourage them to drop me a note
> before they get to the swearing-in-frustration stage. I try to check my
> talk page at least daily, and I must check my email 20 times a day.
> There's no benefit to getting wound up; surplus angst does not help
> either the coding or the communicating about it.

When it's your biography that reads you once were convicted of murder or
pedophilia or whatever else, then you can start talking about people being
wound too tight. When it's only been a delay of a few weeks, then you can
talk about which forum should be used and so forth.

> As I mentioned in the blog post, you can follow the software development
> progress in detail here:
>
> http://www.pivotaltracker.com/projects/46157

The primary issue with that site is that any sense of deadline is a
ever-shifting goalpost. "Launch on English Wikipedia" has a target date of
when? It looks like it was added December 16, though that information wasn't
particularly easy to figure out. Which, of course, begs the question why an
entirely separate layer of software was added to this project in the first
place when Bugzilla was already available and familiar.

> As you can see, we have a bunch of completed changes that need to be
> deployed to an environment where we can get real feedback on them. Once
> we get the feedback from the community, we'll have a better idea of how
> close we are to releasing to the English Wikipedia.

What I see is literally zero activity on that site since December 17, 2009.
All of the tasks appear to have been created on December 16 or 17 and nearly
all of them are in the "Deliver" phase, which reads to me as though they
haven't been done.

I did get the software to output "Found 32 stories (93 points total, 0
points completed)" for the user JAS and the "Done" button at the top opened
an empty box.

Point to me what I'm missing.

> The thing we're working on right now is moving flaggedrevs.labs to
> different hardware. That site is currently running on the production
> cluster, and we can't release new test versions of the software there
> without risk of trouble for production wikis using FlaggedRevs.

Production wikis like... the German Wikipedia? What the hell are you talking
about? Update flaggedrevs.php for the enwiki database, sync it to the
servers, and let's see what happens. How does that sound?

> As soon as that's ready, I will be very excited to put up test versions
> of both the English Wikipedia and the German one, so that the community
> can test, give feedback, and opine on whether it's ready to go.

When might that be? Is there a specific deadline? If not, why? And if there
is a deadline and it slips by yet again, what's the consequence to those
running the project?

MZMcBride
z at mzmcbride.com