[Foundation-l] ASCAP comes out against "copyleft"

James Alexander jamesofur at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 23:34:34 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Jeffrey Peters <
17peters at cardinalmail.cua.edu> wrote:

> Dear Michael,
>
> I find it problematic that you suggest that yourself or the Foundation
> would
> speak out against this, when the law in question is about terminating the
> access to those who have been caught pirating material in violation of set
> copyright multiple times.
>
> This is problematic because Wikipedia has a huge plagiarism and copyvio
> problem that is caused by the same people that would come under conflict
> above.
>
> This clearly would not affect those who freely license their own material,
> which is what Wikipedia and the WMF is about. I've donated thousands of
> hours and hundreds of megs of my own material and my own effort. I find it
> slap in the face that you would then make such statements.
>
> Sincerely,
> Jeffrey Peters
> aka Ottava Rima

I think that Michael was talking about speaking against them if they were
targeting the CC license itself (he was responding to my comment about the
CC licenses). Given that those are the licenses we use (and that a large
pillar of our projects is having as much of our information available under
licenses like it) it would make sense that we want to be aware of what was
happening and make sure our reasoning was out there.

I, like you, think the issue of the ISP rule is different. In many ways I
actually support the 3 strikes rule .It isn't perfect in my mind but much
better then the lawsuits which I think harmed the industry far more then it
helped. I went to many court cases out of interest and while some were very
interesting (there were a couple people that to be honest probably deserved
to be sued) most were a mass of depression.

James Alexander
james.alexander at rochester.edu
jamesofur at gmail.com