[Foundation-l] ASCAP comes out against "copyleft"

Jeffrey Peters 17peters at cardinalmail.cua.edu
Fri Jun 25 23:23:40 UTC 2010

Dear WJhonson,

Lyrics are sometimes included on disk jackets, album covers, etc.

Just because something is not accessible does not mean people have the right
to pirate them, reproduce them, etc. Instead, the rarity of a material would
make it even more legitimate to enforce the copyright.

The lyrics are copyrighted. And you can copyright something and intend not
to sell or distribute it, and you have the right to keep others from
profiting off of it. Otherwise, authors and artists would have no ability to
protect unreleased material, which is insane.

Sincerely,
Jeffrey Peters
aka Ottava Rima