[Foundation-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board resolution commissioning study and recommendations

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jun 25 04:56:15 UTC 2010

Michael Snow wrote:
> Victor Vasiliev wrote:
>
>> On 06/24/2010 10:20 AM, Michael Snow wrote:
>>
>>> 4. We do expect material in our projects to be educational in nature,

>> I still believe such a statement imply that most of Wikisource content
>> will have to be deleted if remove all "non-educational" content.
>>
> I recommend that people not confuse "educational" with "pedagogical" or
> try to divorce its interpretation from the context of the particular
> project. Historical records have educational value, for example, even
> when those records are not created for pedagogical purposes.

Clearly yes, but that assumes that others are making the same
sophisticated terminological distinction as you. My guess is that in the
popular mind the two terms are viewed as synonyms, or that many do not
even have "pedagogical" in their vocabulary. Furthermore "educational"
tends to be popularly associated with schools, and includes all the bad
memories that people associate with school.  Thus, from the outset, it
would need to be made clear, then often repeated by those in positions
of influence that "educational" is to have a very broad interpretation.

Ec