[Foundation-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board resolution commissioning study and recommendations

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 19:47:00 UTC 2010

On 24 June 2010 19:50, Victor Vasiliev <vasilvv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/24/2010 10:40 PM, Michael Snow wrote:

>> I recommend that people not confuse "educational" with "pedagogical" or
>> try to divorce its interpretation from the context of the particular
>> project. Historical records have educational value, for example, even
>> when those records are not created for pedagogical purposes.

> May then we have a clear definition of what "educational value" is? I
> feel very confused about its meaning.

Yes. There *will* be people who take such statements as licence to
undertake a great purge.

You must be very careful, and apply all your years of experience on
the projects, to the question of how people will react to certain
phrasings if made from high up. I would consider the potential for
this one to be taken wrongly to have been blindingly obvious, for
example. (And you've been on en:wp long enough to know it.)

- d.