[Foundation-l] English language dominationism is striking again

Bence Damokos bdamokos at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 21:34:16 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 9:33 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Bence Damokos <bdamokos at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 6:32 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> > > Don't most Internet users know enough English to be able to search for
> > > "pictures of a horse" in English?
> > >
> > > (According to Wikipedia (
> > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Internet_usage),
> > > yes...  "Most Internet users speak the English language as a native or
> > > secondary language.")
> > >

> > If I read the data in the article correctly, most means 35%.
>

> Since "most" means more than 50%, I don't think you read it correctly.  The
> 35% figure seems to be only native English speakers.
>
> According to the Mettiam-Webster dictionary,  'majority' is only one of the
meanings of 'most' (the primary being 'greatest in quantity, extent or
degree'); if you look at the second table which seems to account for
non-native speaker internet users as well, English is still gets about 30%
share of total users.

Although,the linked Wikipedia article could use some improvement...

Best regards,
Bence