[Foundation-l] Wikipedia trade mark misuse

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 11:39:38 UTC 2010

On 17 June 2010 11:37, Peter Gervai <grinapo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 17:25, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>
> wrote many things.
>
> My sidenote is that if you believe in what you say then you imply
> Wikipedia, Wikimedia and everything we have with 'wiki' string in it,
> and every method we use which described as 'wiki-way of web
> publishing' violates Ward's intellectual rights since it was him who
> first used the word, who conjured up the method and made it known.

We're not talking about patents; we're talking about trademarks. Who
conjured up the method is completely irrelevant, as I have already
explained. This complete lack of understanding of trademark law is
precisely why people shouldn't be trying to guess whether something is
a violation or not. I have not once claimed that it is a violation. I
have said that it might be one. That is the most I can say with my
level of understanding of the relevant law and it is clear I have far
more understanding of the relevant law than anyone else in this
discussion.