[Foundation-l] Wikipedia trade mark misuse

Peter Gervai grinapo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 10:37:28 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 17:25, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>
wrote many things.

My sidenote is that if you believe in what you say then you imply
Wikipedia, Wikimedia and everything we have with 'wiki' string in it,
and every method we use which described as 'wiki-way of web
publishing' violates Ward's intellectual rights since it was him who
first used the word, who conjured up the method and made it known.

He didn't, doesn't, and won't, and never intended to interfere,
however please realise that "wiki" was _well_before_ Wikipedia, both
the term and the method, and we just use them out of the kindness of
Ward ["courtesy of Ward" - if it were a commercial thing :)]. Trying
to claim rights on someone else's work is at best uncivilised. (But of
course the legal way is that if you'd try to trademark it it would be
nullified by prior art in five seconds.)

I would like this thread to stop as it's now really just a waste of
precious bits of ones and zeroes. I guess the original question was
overanswered now. Let's move on to real problems. World peace, anyone?

Thanks,
[[user:grin|<g>]]