[Foundation-l] Did you say "usability" ?

henna hennar+henna at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 08:55:12 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:36, Teofilo <teofilowiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/6/15, Domas Mituzas <midom.lists at gmail.com>:
>
> > there're some better ways to report problems though, like
> > http://bugs.wikimedia.org/
>
> Yes. So the topic for a talk on the foundation list would be : should
> Wikipedia stop to support older computers or older web browsers like
> Internet Explorer 6 ? Forcing people like me to get rid of their older
> computer and spend money to buy a new one, with a larger screen, and
> better web browsers.
>
> Is that bug worth spending time on it ? Are users like me (how many
> are they? one or two? less than 100? less than 1000? less than 10000?
> more? ) worth paying attention ?
>
> The meaning of "usability" in the Wiki-m/p-edia vocabulary generally
> means moving forward with smart new software implying less support and
> less usability for older computers doesn't it ?
>
> Google Books has http://books.google.fr/books?output=html (simple html
> mode) for older computers. Gmail has
> https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=html&zy=c (simple html mode) for
> older computers, requiring no javascript.
>
> Wikipedia has... what ?

An option to login and set the skin you want, most of which work very well
in older browsers, as well as the possibility to customise it entirely
yourself.

My preferences   (top right)
  -> Appearances
      -> choose whatever non-vector skin you want

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Especial:Preferencias#prefsection-1

henna

"Maybe you knew early on that your track went from point A to B, but unlike
you I wasn't given a map at birth!" Alyssa, "Chasing Amy"