[Foundation-l] Did you say "usability" ?

Teofilo teofilowiki at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 08:36:48 UTC 2010

2010/6/15, Domas Mituzas <midom.lists at gmail.com>:

> there're some better ways to report problems though, like
> http://bugs.wikimedia.org/

Yes. So the topic for a talk on the foundation list would be : should
Wikipedia stop to support older computers or older web browsers like
Internet Explorer 6 ? Forcing people like me to get rid of their older
computer and spend money to buy a new one, with a larger screen, and
better web browsers.

Is that bug worth spending time on it ? Are users like me (how many
are they? one or two? less than 100? less than 1000? less than 10000?
more? ) worth paying attention ?

The meaning of "usability" in the Wiki-m/p-edia vocabulary generally
means moving forward with smart new software implying less support and
less usability for older computers doesn't it ?

Google Books has http://books.google.fr/books?output=html (simple html
mode) for older computers. Gmail has
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=html&zy=c (simple html mode) for
older computers, requiring no javascript.

Wikipedia has... what ?