[Foundation-l] Texts deleted on French Wikisource

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 14:19:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 11:54 PM, Eugene Zelenko
<eugene.zelenko at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it's reasonable to account country of origin copyrights laws
> too as Commons does, especially with Wikisource editions other then
> English, where majority of text most likely originated outside of USA.
> And majority of audience also likely to be outside of USA.

The Wikisource projects are not a single project like Commons, nor is
it structured like Wikipedia.

If I want to add a French text onto Wikisource, I must go to the
French Wikisource project, and abide by their policies.  I can not do
it on English Wikisource.

e.g.

http://fr.wikisource.org/wiki/Livre:La_pornocratie,_ou_Les_femmes_dans_les_temps_modernes.djvu

If I want to read a text that was written in French, I will most
likely need to go to French Wikisource, unless there is a English
translation has been published and is in the public domain.

Some Wikisource projects do allow "Wikisource" translations, but that
is a different barrel of worms.

http://wikisource.org/wiki/WS:COORD

It would be nice to have usage statistics for the Wikisource projects,
indicating where their user base is.

--
John Vandenberg