[Foundation-l] Strategic Planning Office Hours

Eugene Eric Kim eekim at blueoxen.com
Tue Jun 1 22:39:08 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 3:16 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> Or not.
>
> Okey so it happened that the thing was taking place at a time
> reasonable for my timezone. So I check
> http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Task_force/Living_People/IRC_Agendas
>
> So there hasn't been an agenda in months. Fair enough agendas can be a
> pain. Hey how hard can it be to wing it?

You're confusing the agendas of a Task Force to the office hours of
the strategy process as a whole. As stated at:

http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_Office_Hours

the goals of these office hours are to answer questions and engage in
discussion. These are not formal meetings, but a designated period
where Philippe and I make ourselves available to interact with people
in real-time. We keep the agenda open, but at the same time, we also
do our best to keep the discussion relevant. And, as with the strategy
process as a whole, we've worked hard to maintain an environment of
constructive, positive discourse.

> Personally I think it's a bad idea to sacrifice screen real estate on
> order to solve the odd TR:DR problem. So I make this clear. I'm told
> that this is related to having a deadline. I start to make the case
> that perhaps things are getting a little too meta. I also make the
> case that a tool that is based around removing context and nuance form
> posts is a bad idea. I start to make the case that if there is a
> deadline to meet it is better to work out how to do it using
> technology we already know well (remember no one was considering
> adding reflect to say en.pedia) rather than trying to introduce new
> technology and hope it will allow us to do things faster to the extent
> it makes up for the time lost deploying it and learning how to use it.
> But at that point I was kinda banned.

The decision to kick geniice off the channel was mine. You can read
the log to see how the discussion evolved and my explanation for why I
made this decision:

http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours/2010-06-01

I don't think foundation-l is the appropriate place to discuss these
specific grievances, and I'm happy to continue this discussion on
strategy wiki's Village Pump. That said, I think we have a strong
record for openness and tolerance of all views, as long as the
discussion has remained polite and constructive, and I'm happy to
address any general questions about this here.

=Eugene