[Foundation-l] Strategic Planning Office Hours

geni geniice at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 22:16:52 UTC 2010

On 1 June 2010 01:49, Philippe Beaudette <pbeaudette at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Hi Everyone -
>
> Our next strategic planning office hours will be: 20:00-21:00 UTC,
> Tuesday, 1 May. Local timezones can be checked athttp://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2010&month=6&day=1&hour=20&min=0&sec=0&p1=0
>
> As always, you can access the chat by going to
> https://webchat.freenode.net and filling in a username and the channel
> name (#wikimedia-strategy). You may be prompted to click through a
> security warning. It's fine. More details at:
>
> http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours
>
> Thanks! Hope to see many of you there.

Or not.

Okey so it happened that the thing was taking place at a time
reasonable for my timezone. So I check
http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Task_force/Living_People/IRC_Agendas

So there hasn't been an agenda in months. Fair enough agendas can be a
pain. Hey how hard can it be to wing it?

So I pop in. Discussion is about Reflect . You can read about it here:

http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/travis/reflect/

Personally I think it's a bad idea to sacrifice screen real estate on
order to solve the odd TR:DR problem. So I make this clear. I'm told
that this is related to having a deadline. I start to make the case
that perhaps things are getting a little too meta. I also make the
case that a tool that is based around removing context and nuance form
posts is a bad idea. I start to make the case that if there is a
deadline to meet it is better to work out how to do it using
technology we already know well (remember no one was considering
adding reflect to say en.pedia) rather than trying to introduce new
technology and hope it will allow us to do things faster to the extent
it makes up for the time lost deploying it and learning how to use it.
But at that point I was kinda banned.

So peeps. Go along hang out. But be careful with discussion or
dissent. They may not work out too well.

--
geni