No subject

Tue Jul 6 00:35:29 UTC 2010

and with the staff -- I can say without reservation that our staff is
devoted and exceptionally hardworking; we ask a lot of the staff, and
we get a lot, too.

-- phoebe, speaking for herself only

p.s. the Board is not involved in setting anyone's compensation,
except Sue's; but I don't think these principles are controversial.

pp.s. if you want to feel outraged about capitalism, please go see the
movie "Inside Job"! The scale of how horrifically wall street behaves
will both make you apoplectic (as it did me) and will perhaps put
everything else in perspective.

ppp.s. in the U.S., typically speaking, employees who work for
government (state or federal) generally have their salaries disclosed
since they are paid for with public (taxpayer) money; for instance, my
own salary is public because I work for a public university. Employees
of private businesses and non-profits generally have confidential
salaries and have the expectation of confidentiality: it is actually
considered quite rude and inappropriate to discuss or disclose how
much someone makes, and goes against standard HR practice to disclose
such information. The exception is for the officers of public
companies (i.e. those with shareholders), and the officers of
nonprofits who must file 990s.