No subject

Tue Jul 6 00:35:29 UTC 2010

is clear that a significant portion of visitors are confused,
intimidated, scared, or otherwise discouraged when they first
encounter the editing process.  I don't think it takes a big leap to
conclude that feeling uncomfortable with making edits is a major
reason that people abandon new and lightly used accounts (though it is
certainly not the only reason).

Currently, only about 1.1% of account registrations reach the level of
100 edits.  That conversion rate is tiny.  Even if there are many
different reasons that such people abandon editing, I have to imagine
that a significant portion of the other 99% are people we can capture
and develop into active editors given a bit more support.  Even if
such efforts can only convince another 1% to become active editors,
you would still be talking about doubling the size of the active
community.

So I certainly support initiatives that reach out to and help the very
newest users.  Exactly what kinds of support we provide will likely
vary depending on what issues are determined to be most common, but
regardless of the details, I think this is a very important avenue for
outreach and growth.

-Robert Rohde