[Foundation-l] Why should Wikimedians meet?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 15:47:24 UTC 2010

On 31 July 2010 16:37, Casey Brown <lists at caseybrown.org> wrote:
> There was also a fundraising summit hosted by Wikimedia UK
> <http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/2010_Fundraising_Summit>, which Thomas
> could tell us more about.

Indeed. For people involved in chapters, there are lots of in-person
meetings and they are very useful. The Fundraising Summit enabled us
to discuss fundraising in much more depth and breadth than we could
ever have done online (face-to-face discussions are much quicker than
online discussions - one major advantage is that you know when someone
else is speaking and also when they are about to speak, neither of
which you know with most online media). That is very different from
the kind of meetings most people have at Wikimanias though (which are
ad hoc meetings over coffee with no agenda). Of course, chapter people
have more formal meetings at Wikimanias, but we aren't typical of
Wikimedians.