[Foundation-l] Why should Wikimedians meet?

Casey Brown lists at caseybrown.org
Sat Jul 31 15:37:51 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Amir E. Aharoni
<amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:
> But all of the above are nice dreams about the future. Is there any
> proven experience from the past that demonstrates why personal
> meetings between Wikimedians are not just fun for them, but actually
> beneficial to the Wikimedia community, the Internet, the Humanity?

Well, the board has real life meetings and, like David, most of the
chapters do. :-)

There's also been "WMCON" where a bunch of board members, developers,
and chapter members had meetings in the same place at the same time,
which seems to have been very beneficial, because they've had
two-in-a-row. <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMCON>

There was also a fundraising summit hosted by Wikimedia UK
<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/2010_Fundraising_Summit>, which Thomas
could tell us more about.

> Can
> anyone here give me solid examples of successful projects that were
> born thanks to past Wikimanias?

Something obvious is hacking days, which hopefully Brion could tell us
more about. :-)  Pages about previous hacking days:

* <http://wikimania2005.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Hacking_Days&oldid=7240>
* <http://wikimania2006.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hacking_days>
* <http://wikimania2007.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hacking_days>
* <http://wikimania2009.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hacking_Days>