[Foundation-l] Is Google translation is good for Wikipedias?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jul 28 20:09:02 UTC 2010

Fajro wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 8:38 PM, Ragib Hasan <ragibhasan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> (The tool used was Google Translation Toolkit. (not Google Translate).
>> There is a distinction between these two tools. Google Translation
>> Toolkit (GTT) is a translation-memory based semi-manual translation
>> tool. That is, it learns translation skills as you gradually translate
>> articles by hand. Later, this can be used to automate translation.)
>>
> Another issue: The resulting translation memory is not free

This is a red herring.  Some real and important issues have been raised
about machine translations, but this is not one of them.

The fact that the source codes for the translation processes are not
free does not make the results of such machine translations unfree.  Key
to anything being copyright is that material must be original and not
the result of a mechanical process.  Machine translations are mechanical
processes.  Another person using the same software with the same text
should have the same results.

It is also important that the allegedly infringing text must have been
fixed in some medium.  A person issuing a take down order must show, as
an necessary element of that order, where the material in question was
previously published.  Two identical texts by different authors need not
be copies of each other.  With human efforts two such identical texts
are highly improbable, but this need not be the case with machine
translation. Indeed if the same software keeps producing different
results I would question its reliability.

Ray