[Foundation-l] Is Google translation is good for Wikipedias?

Ragib Hasan ragibhasan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 01:18:23 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Fajro <faigos at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 8:38 PM, Ragib Hasan <ragibhasan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> (The tool used was Google Translation Toolkit. (not Google Translate).
>> There is a distinction between these two tools. Google Translation
>> Toolkit (GTT) is a translation-memory based semi-manual translation
>> tool. That is, it learns translation skills as you gradually translate
>> articles by hand. Later, this can be used to automate translation.)
>
> Another issue: The resulting translation memory is not free.
>
> --
> Fajro

My guess is that, the translation memory will be used in enhancing
Google Translate (the automated translator). That is probably a reason
behind creating these translations in the first place.

(See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Translate : "According to
Och, a solid base for developing a usable statistical machine
translation system for a new pair of languages from scratch, would
consist in having a bilingual text corpus (or parallel collection) of
more than a million words and two monolingual corpora of each more
than a billion words")

--

Ragib