[Foundation-l] Discussion Questions for Potentially-Objectionable Content

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 19:39:42 UTC 2010

On 26 July 2010 20:08, Ryan Kaldari <rkaldari at wikimedia.org> wrote:
failure
> offer filtering. Frankly, we're already filtering content, even on
> en.wiki, but only according to a "default" Western/American POV. We use
> line drawings instead of photos in articles on sex positions.

And this was a defective compromise with pushers of the censored POV
at the time, so using it as a reason for more is the begging the
question fallacy.

Wikimedia's bias is to NPOV and the sum of the world's knowledge.
Deliberately restricting that by default is a violation, on the face
of it. Apart from using past failures as justification for future
failures, do you have a proposal to address the problem of prior
default filtering as a failure of neutrality in a manner that shows
understanding of why this is a problem?

- d.