[Foundation-l] Discussion Questions forPotentially-Objectionable Content

Ryan Kaldari rkaldari at wikimedia.org
Thu Jul 22 23:06:51 UTC 2010

Actually I think there is one issue that has still not been well
discussed, and which I think it should be possible to build consensus
around (but maybe I'm naive): The issue of context for controversial
images. For example, although it may be perfectly fine to include an
image of nude bondage in the "BDSM" article, you probably wouldn't want
it included in the "Rope" article, and almost certainly not in the "Play
(activity)" article. Similarly, you probably wouldn't want to feature an
image of Osama Bin Laden on the en.wiki Main Page on 9/11. Right now, we
rely solely on the discretion of our editors to make sure images are
used in appropriate contexts. It would be useful if we actually had a
policy we could point to if an editor happened to have a catastrophic
loss of discretion. Something simple like: "Potentially objectionable
images should only be used in contexts for which they are directly
relevant and appropriate. In addition, the use of potentially
objectionable images in contexts such as Picture of the Day, Random
Picture of the Day, Today's featured picture, etc. should be avoided as
these uses generally do not provide adequate context for such images."

Ryan Kaldari