[Foundation-l] Wikimedia France Wikimania Scholarships (was Re: Money, politics and corruption)

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 20 23:57:18 UTC 2010

On 7/15/10 6:23 PM, Oliver Keyes wrote:
> Perhaps in future (for say, Haifa) it would be an idea if any chapter-based
> scholarships were put on hold until after the Foundation makes its choices?
> That way the systems could mesh, with people who don't quite meet the
> Foundation requirements/do but oh dear, we've already used up all our
> scholarships being forwarded to the chapter for its decision.

This year, Wikimedia France voted to approve scholarships to go to
Wikimania for a total budget of 5000 euros.

This decision was approved on the 24th of may and was advertised in
various (french speaking) venues. The scholarship only proposed two
different types of packages: 250 euros or 500 euros.
There was no requirement of nationality or location, though we would
probably have focused on French participants. A commission was receiving
the scholarship requests and approving them.
Scholars had two main obligations :
- actually being at the conference :)
- report after the conference

In spite of sufficient time, not all scholarships were distributed,
which is quite unfortunate. However, the number of French participants
had never been as high in a Wikimania.

------------

One could certainly state that we are from a rich country and that our
scholarships are further digging the divide between rich and poor
countries. I would refute that argument.

On the 27th of april, Wikimedia France also approved financial
participation to help several chapters participate to the chapter
meeting in Berlin. The total amount approved was 10 000 euros. Original
chapters chosen to be supported were

* Wikimedia Argentina
* Wikimedia Australia
* Wikimedia Hong Kong
* Wikimedia Macedonia
* Wikimedia UK
* Wikimedia Serbia (yes dear)

These chapters were chosen in a list of chapters-to-be-supported, with
the names of the people expected as well as the amount required for each
to come. The choice was made taking into account:
1) the total budget
2) the price of each plane ticket (we picked up on purpose first of all
the most expensive tickets)
3) pick up on every continent available
4) and last, when final choice had to be made, indeed, according to the
person-to-come

(disclaimer: due to the ash mess and a flood mess, some travels were
cancelled, so some of the support might have gone to a chapter different
than the one originally planned).

But bottom line....
1) whether people came from rich or poor countries was irrelevant. What
was relevant was what they would bring to the table
2) our choice was made in a master table handled by Wikimedia
Deutschland... and that made sense to do it this way.

-------------

Lessons for next year Wikimania scholarship.

1) I think the French chapter was happy to have made that decision of
offering scholarships for Wikimania this year. It came from the
statement made at previous Wikimanias that hardly any French speaking
person was attending. We meant to increase attendance and it was a success.

2) Whilst it was not discussed yet, postmortem should be made on that
and we should check whether it will be relevant to do it again next
year. Intuitively, I feel confortable saying that we will do it again.

3) I do not think being French should be a requirement. I however think
being French speaking would please us (and the good news is that there
are many French speaking countries)

4) We should however clarify our decision making process and include
criteria, whatever those might be

5) And yes, though private data would be an issue to take into account,
it would be nice to have a sort of "common" list of scholarship requests
or at least one way to have those overlap so that the ones making
request and being rejected are informed that other options might be
feasible, or chapters are given the contact names of those rejected,
and.... also to check that no one get dual funding (*)

I guess having Wikimania website listing all organizations providing
scholarships would be a start :)

Ant

(*) jeee, finally found a way to get rich !