[Foundation-l] Boycott in ace at wiki

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Sat Jul 17 00:58:30 UTC 2010

> Except the problem is that at no point do they mention law; it's entirely
> personal opinions. If they said "oh btw, the law in our nation creates
> problems with images of Muhammad" then cool, fine, it's justified.
> Arguing
> that images should be deleted not because of the law but because they
> find
> it personally offensive, and stating that all Muslim wikipedians should
> follow the same rules, is inappropriate.

Muslim Wikipedians who do not object to images of Muhammad are in the
same position as Western users. They know there are no authentic images;
they know it is extremely offensive to millions of people. They should
have common sense and not put images up in a reference work which are
both offensive and false.

There might be an exception for Persian art, but such images certainly
don't belong in an article on Muhammad or Islam in any language.

Fred Bauder