[Foundation-l] ASCAP comes out against "copyleft"

wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 1 20:27:44 UTC 2010

WJhonson at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 6/30/2010 5:36:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk writes:
>

>> If a way of halting the gross infringements can't be done. Then  go back
>> to hitting the seeders with $22,000 fines per infringed work. The
>> economic costs of simply walking away and not stopping the piracy are
>> too much.>>
>

> They know perfectly well how to do it, they've been doing it.
> If you can't actually get 85 million dollars out of a 13-year-old girl,
> well then that's your tough luck, welcome to jurisprudence U.S. style.

The loss to the economy is staggering. Yet you'd do nothing, apply no
sanctions, bitch about rights management, and let $billions each year be
filtch from the creative industries. That 13 yo is as much a thief as
the person that smashes the jewelers window and throws the contents into
the street. Maybe we should have her MySpace and Facebook page branded
with THIEF.

> And if after you keep attacking housewives and children, your image is
> horrible, well that's your tough luck as well.
> If people hate you because you're trying to protect a work on which you
> haven't *actually* made any income in thirty-five years.... that's your tough
> luck.
>
> I shouldn't use the work "luck" however in this case, since it implies you
> didn't bring it upon yourself.

What that someone who creates something that others want is to blame,
because others have decided that they somehow have an entitlement to take?

> How about this counter-offensive.  Threaten to repeal copyright to the
> point, where any holder *only* gets ten years.  That's it.
> Ten years to make your money then it's public domain.  We can call it the
> "Knock it off or else" proposal.

The bulk of the theft is contemporary works, not the works from 10 years
ago, but the works that were created last week.

That aside if I invest a bunch of money in some stocks that gives me a
share in the profits of that companies I've invested in. No one says
that in 10 years time my rights to a share in those profits are forfeit,
  and the rights devolved to some general class of whiners and moaners
with an inflated sense of entitlement.