[Foundation-l] 2008/2009 Wikimedia Foundation Annual Report

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 03:33:12 UTC 2010

Beautiful document. I like the ongoing calendar running across the bottom of
each page. It gives a sort of narrative structure. I also would like to know
what material the Wikipedia globe on the front page is made out of? Also,
has anyone contacted Naresh Sharma's teacher or parents (see the last page
of the report)? What a cute story :-)

Would it be possible to produce a version of the PDF that is single-page
like the previous report instead of double-page, to make for easier online
reading (rather than having to zoom in to be able to read the text, and then
scroll sideways)? I understand that  "It's primarily intended to work as a
print document" but perhaps you could place two versions online - the "print
version" and the "view online" version? You would probably have to leave the
double-page spreads (pages 7 and 12) as they are.

Finally, if there is still time for comment/changes, with regards to the NIH
section - should it be made more explicit that the chapters have the primary
responsibility for undertaking outreach activities "on the ground" - and
that the WMF allocates some of its program money for that purpose? It states
on Sue's Feb. report to the Board that "investing directly in staging
events" is an area the WMF will not
prioritise<http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation/Letter_to_the_Board_%28Feb_2010%29#Areas_the_Wikimedia_Foundation_will_not_prioritize>but
instead it wishes the Chapters to be the drivers of these kinds of
activities. So, in the context of highlighting the NIH event which was an
outreach activity the WMF ran, it might be useful to point out that the WMF
does not generally intend to be using its funding to undertake such
activities *itself* - but rather to use those funds to encourage chapters to
do so. I'm not suggesting removing the NIH example from the page, but
perhaps it could be clarified a little bit?

Best,
-Liam [[witty lama]]

wittylama.com/blog
Peace, love & metadata