[Foundation-l] video presentation on explicit images on WMF projects

Mike Godwin mnemonic at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 02:31:17 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 5:41 PM, private musings <thepmaccount at gmail.com>wrote:

> Finally, your last bit, Mike, seemed to indicate that you feel the DOJ
> (department of justice, I think) would be wanting to talk to you if anything
> bad was going on.... does that really prohibit us from chatting about stuff
> here? Has the foundation discussed such things with the DOJ specifically?
> (would you, as foundation counsel, prefer such concerns to be raised with
> them? - hopefully the door's not completely closed on this issue - that
> would be a shame)

Please understand that I have many contacts with the law-enforcement
community, and have had them for many years. Please also understand that I
don't disclose every legally related communication to foundation-l.

What I said, generally, remains true: that if DOJ has a problem with
Wikimedia content or policies, I'll likely be the first to hear about it. We
have not yet been contacted by DOJ or any state law-enforcement agency
regarding the content that PM is so very deeply concerned with and focused
on.

--Mike