[Foundation-l] video presentation on explicit images on WMF projects

Nikola Smolenski smolensk at eunet.rs
Sun Jan 17 23:20:17 UTC 2010

Дана Sunday 17 January 2010 22:13:28 private musings написа:
> Here's another concerning aspect of management of explicit media on WMF;
> It's been asserted that images of a 16 year old girl masturbating have been
> uploaded to commons;
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Administrators%27_notic
>eboard/Incidents&oldid=338426080#User:Misty_Willows_problematic_images The
> image in question has been deleted from commons;
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Closeup_of_female_mastu
>rbation_pastel.jpg&action=edit&redlink=1 ..and I think it's also been
> oversighted. Lar, a commons oversighter, muses over on wikipedia review
> whether or not continuing to fight fires caused by systemic problems is the
> right thing to do;
> http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=28221&view=findpost&p=216
>072 The general issue is of course important, but I hope in the short term,
> that the image in question can be properly deleted - restricting it to
> oversighters only remains, in my view, likely to be illegal - it really
> would be best for that image to be removed by a dev.
> Maybe this is underway as I type? Hope so!

This is an interesting case, but I don't see what it has to do with policies
on explicit images on WMF projects. Even if the policies would be changed to
be the strictest possible (for example, no explicit images allowed at all),
the exact same thing could happen.