[Foundation-l] WikiMobile - use of Wikipedia name in commerce

Ryan Lomonaco wiki.ral315 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 10:54:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Gregory Kohs <thekohser at gmail.com> wrote:

> Pardon me if this has been asked before, but I am curious to learn
> whether Bonfire Media paid any sort of licensing fee to the Wikimedia
> Foundation in order to use the Wikipedia brand name in commerce on its
> WikiMobile app?

Looking at their website, I see that they use the word Wikipedia to describe
the articles they have, but are careful not to phrase it as if they're
involved with us.  And while their logo is similar to Wikipedia's by design,
it's definitely different.  It wouldn't surprise me if they do have a
licensing agreement with the Foundation, but it's certainly possible that
they're merely using the content legally and skirting legal boundaries when
it comes to the trademarks.

--
[[User:Ral315]]