[Foundation-l] Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Please HELP save Wikipedia history ! (urgent)

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 13:20:59 UTC 2010

On 21 February 2010 11:15, Chad <innocentkiller at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 5:33 AM, Tomasz Ganicz <polimerek at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Legal decision should be taken out from project's communities
>> "jurisdiction"  and given into hands of professional lawyers or at
>> least people who had copyright law practical training.
>>

> While I don't agree that we need to take this away from the community
> and hand it to a team of lawyers, I must say that the "practical training"
> caught my eye.
>
> Would it be possible for the Foundation to get Mike--and other people
> who actually know what they're talking about--to get a "guide to
> handling copyright questions" together? It would probably help a lot of
> people who are unclear on some points, as well as help remove some
> grey areas (like the scenario that brought us here now). This may be a
> terrible idea, but I'm just throwing it out there.
>
> -Chad

Not really. Mike is a US lawyer. I'm not sure how much it would cost
to get enough lawyers to put together say:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Freedom_of_panorama

but I doubt it would be practical.

Commons does have a number of help pages:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Problematic_sources

and en of course has
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Media_copyright_questions
--