[Foundation-l] Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Please HELP save Wikipedia history ! (urgent)

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 14:01:42 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Chad <innocentkiller at gmail.com> wrote:

> While I don't agree that we need to take this away from the community
> and hand it to a team of lawyers, I must say that the "practical training"
> caught my eye.
>
> Would it be possible for the Foundation to get Mike--and other people
> who actually know what they're talking about--to get a "guide to
> handling copyright questions" together? It would probably help a lot of
> people who are unclear on some points, as well as help remove some
> grey areas (like the scenario that brought us here now). This may be a
> terrible idea, but I'm just throwing it out there.

The problem is that removing grey areas won't help. No grey area would
become 100.00% white, and if it's not 100.00% white, then people will
delete it. I upload a picture under a free license, stating author and
license. A few years down the road someone deletes it, because I have
not given any evidence that it is. Of course I have only been a
Wikipedian for nine years. We cannot go and trust people like that,
can we?

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com