[Foundation-l] 2010 Wikimedia Study of Controversial Content

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 10 08:45:32 UTC 2010

--- On Fri, 10/12/10, Mariano Cecowski <marianocecowski at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> Problem is, Controlled Viewing is an option to deletionism,
> but is not being seen as it. The current poll is to set a
> criteria for the exclusion of material from commons, whereas
> content hiding is [generally speaking] against it.
>
> Why do we have to decide what we delete before we decide
> what we hide (acording to user preferences) ?
>
> MarianoC.-

Apart from summarising COM:PORN*, all that the draft sexual content policy
was meant to do, actually, was to address two cases:

* Material that is illegal to host for the Foundation under Florida law
* Sexual images of people uploaded without their knowledge and consent

The first is simply a requirement to comply with the law, while the second
is a moral issue; we shouldn't host an image of a woman giving a blowjob
for example if the woman has not given her consent to have the image uploaded, and is unaware of its presence on Commons. Excluding those types
of cases has nothing to do with the viewer experience; it has to do with
protecting the foundation, and the privacy of the people depicted.

Andreas

* http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/COM:PORN#Commons_is_not_an_amateur_porn_site