[Foundation-l] 2010 Wikimedia Study of Controversial Content

Mariano Cecowski marianocecowski at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Dec 10 07:28:15 UTC 2010

--- El jue 9-dic-10, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at yahoo.com> escribió:

> De: Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at yahoo.com>
> Asunto: Re: [Foundation-l] 2010 Wikimedia Study of Controversial Content
> Para: "Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List" <foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
> Fecha: jueves, 9 de diciembre de 2010, 22:46
> --- On Mon, 6/12/10, Mariano Cecowski
> <marianocecowski at yahoo.com.ar>
> wrote:
> > Date: Monday, 6 December, 2010, 19:40
> > I'm sorry we are putting more energy
> > into what should be banned from commons instead of
> searching
> > for mechanisms to protect those readers who would
> prefer to
> > stay away from such content.
> >
> > I mean, I understand the problem with paedophilia, and
> why
> > it needs to be kept outside wikimedia projects, but I
> think
> > it is equally important to provide with the means to
> present
> > the content to users in their desired level of
> exposure;
> > tagging, collapsing and hiding graphic content would
> do the
> > trick, and it is technologically straightforward.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > MarianoC
>
> Such a system was indeed among the recommendations put
> forward by the 2010
> Wikimedia Study of Controversial Content, paralleling
> similar systems in
> place at major sites such as Google, youtube and flickr.
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2010_Wikimedia_Study_of_Controversial_Content:_Part_Two#User-Controlled_Viewing_Options
>
> As for the Commons sexual content policy poll: there are
> currently 144
> editors in support, and 138 opposing adoption of the
> policy. The community
> is almost exactly split down the middle.
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Sexual_content#Second_poll_for_promotion_to_policy_.28December_2010.29
>
> Andreas

Problem is, Controlled Viewing is an option to deletionism, but is not being seen as it. The current poll is to set a criteria for the exclusion of material from commons, whereas content hiding is [generally speaking] against it.

Why do we have to decide what we delete before we decide what we hide (acording to user preferences) ?

MarianoC.-