[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Executive Director?

Michael Snow wikipedia at frontier.com
Fri Dec 10 00:35:54 UTC 2010

On 12/9/2010 4:12 PM, MZMcBride wrote:
> Michael Snow wrote:
>> Assuming good faith, I think it crossed a line as far as accuracy goes,
>> but being misguided or inartful hardly makes it sleazy.
> Assuming good faith is what Newyorkbrad did when he suggested that it was
> simply a typo. There is no reason to assume good faith when you know that
> people are intentionally creating banners and landing pages that are wrong.
They don't intend them to be wrong. They may actually be wrong, as I've
said, but they are not intended to be wrong. That is why we assume good
faith.
>> And yes, it is sleazy and underhanded to insinuate things like criminal
>> behavior about other people if you're not willing to commit outright to
>> a set of facts to establish a charge or an accusation that can be
>> defended against.
> K. Peachey did cite both the law and the actions by Wikimedia that he or she
> believed to be in violation of it. I'm not sure why you seem to be
> suggesting that there is ambiguity here.
No, K. Peachey avoided citing actions by not "debating the whole wording
thing" that would establish what the action entailed, offering instead a
generic description of criminal law that would encourage people, in
passive-aggressive style, to "draw their own conclusions" about the
supposed criminality involved. I can't tell whether K. Peachey believed
the actions in question would be in violation of the law or not.

--Michael Snow