[Foundation-l] Brazilian Portuguese Wikipedia

Virgilio A. P. Machado vam at fct.unl.pt
Tue Dec 7 02:52:13 UTC 2010

John,

Not a bad article. I'm not a linguist, so I can't
do a knowledgeable evaluation, but again from the
little that I know about he subject it looks
pretty good. I only stumbled on "The adoption of
the new orthography will cause changes in the
spelling of about 1.6% of the words in the
European norm (official also in Africa, Asia and
Oceania) and about 0.5% in the Brazilian norm."
Not sure those figures are accurate. It omits
some very important historic facts, but that much
is recognized by the label on top. It still
presents the "correct" POV, but that is old news.

I also have a visceral dislike for stuff like
"European norm," not to mention "European
Portuguese." I have written about that elsewhere
(http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Vapmachado/Portuguese_language_issues)
but that is NOT why I'm blocked on Meta. They
don't block people there for serious stuff like that.

Now our dear correspondent Mark as stated that
"it may not yet be used in schools." "May"? Do
you really have any doubts? You are at a huge
disadvantage. You see, schools are my line of
business and have been for 56 years. Joined at 4
and have not left yet. My children are still
attending school, and I've already paid a visit
to the elementary school right next to me, about
this matter. So let me make your dubious (I
wonder why...) statement to something more precise:

It is NOT used in schools.

Before signing off, and before I forget, let me
ask another trivial question. It has been a long,
long time since you have opened a grammar of any
language, hasn't it? That's an easy guess,
considering what a grammar is
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammar) and that
the differences between Brazilian Portuguese and
Portuguese of Portugal go way beyond differences
in orthography. You'll find a lot of good links
here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Vapmachado/Portuguese_language_issues,
particularly this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Portuguese#Grammar

I think you'll be just treading water, and will
not get anywhere this way. Why not try: Let's not
feed the trolls, and ignore me, has you guys use
to do, when you don't get right down uncivil?

Sincerely,

Virgilio A. P. Machado (Vapamachado)
An harmless guy who had this idea that Wikipedia
was a great thing for his students, and paid dearly for it.