[Foundation-l] Fundraiser statistics

Brian J Mingus brian.mingus at Colorado.EDU
Wed Dec 1 21:49:53 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Przykuta <przykuta at o2.pl> wrote:

> > > Hmm. We need change strategy. Banners work well, but without changes -
> you
> > > know.
> > >
> > > http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Special:FundraiserStatistics
> > >
> > > przykuta
> > >

> > I'm not sure that the drop can be attributed to a lack of effectiveness
> in
> > the banners. I expect us to raise significantly more this year due to an
> > increase in readership, but I think most people that wanted to contribute
> in
> > the past with the less-than-optimal banners eventually did. Now that we
> have
> > a much more effective personal appeal, those who want to contribute do it
> > sooner rather than later.
> >
> > - Brian
>
> But look on the "Christmas days" in 2008 and 2009... The banner was
> changed.
>
> przykuta

That fits with what I said - a more effective banner will cause some people
who would have donated at another time with a less effective banner to
donate now. It's certainly true that a more effective banner will draw in
some new donors, but with a more effective banner system the donation rate
we are seeing makes sense. We convinced everyone who usually donates to
donate right away, and now there are fewer donations per day as a result.

- Brian