[Foundation-l] Sakha Wikipedia passed 7000 articles

Marcus Buck me at marcusbuck.org
Wed Aug 25 22:34:29 UTC 2010

  An'n 25.08.2010 22:42, hett Michael Peel schreven:
>> On 25 August 2010 23:01, Muhammad Yahia<shipmaster at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I agree with what Muhammad and Mark has said
>> it's a pity that such resolutions that affect the whole community is
>> controlled like this..
>> resulting in such projects that really make Wikimedia looks like a host for
>> childish projects that's
>> written in a funny language never seen written before in
>> any respectable scientific book, website, etc..
>>
>> --
>> - Arabic Wikipedia: http://ar.wikipedia.org/  "Share your knowledge"
> Erm ... huh?
Exactly what I thought first. But he's from ar.wp, so I guess he's
referring to arz.wp, the Egyptian Arabic version of Wikipedia. Arabic
(similar to Chinese) is actually a big group of languages which are
arched by a common standard. Supporters of the standard consider the
different Arabic languages as dialects and their use in written form as
an assault on the common Arabic culture.

Although I don't share his view on arz.wp I do share his negative view
on the Language Committee. Gerard Meijssen keeps his contributions to
the discussions secret and even for the more-willing-to-share committee
members there are no archives since June 2009.

The committee claims success for the fact that none of the projects
approved by them has failed ("failed" in the sense like Herero and
Kanuri have failed, not producing any articles in years). That claim is
correct, but it also came with a significant decline in approval
numbers. When the language approval policy was created in 2006 we had
about 250 wikipedias (that's 50 per year since 2001). Now we have 270
wikipedias. 20 new wikipedias in almost 4 years... (that's 5 per year.)

Marcus Buck
User:Slomox