[Foundation-l] A proposal of partnership between Wikimedia Foundation and Internet Archive

Nikola Smolenski smolensk at eunet.rs
Tue Aug 24 14:19:04 UTC 2010

On 08/24/2010 03:57 PM, emijrp wrote:
> I want to make a proposal about external links preservation. Many times,
> when you check an external link or a link reference, the website is dead or
> offline. This websites are important, because they are the sources for the
> facts showed in the articles. Internet Archive searches for interesting
> websites to save in their hard disks, so, we can send them our external
> links sql tables (all projects and languages of course). They improve their
> database and we always have a copy of the sources text to check when needed.

I wanted to suggest this for a long time. I see two more reasons for this:

- We are often copying free images or text from various sites (for
example flickr but other ones too). It happens that these sites go
offline or change their licenses later. Having such an archive, archived
by an independent organization, would be indisputable proof of copyright
status.

- Wikipedia often writes articles about current events, and these link
to various news organizations as sources. It happens sometimes that
these sources stealthily change their content for various reasons. Such
an archive, if it would be able to quickly follow Wikipedia's new links,
would be a strong deterrent against this Orwellian trend.