[Foundation-l] Sakha Wikipedia passed 7000 articles

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 09:04:24 UTC 2010

Hoi,
The language committee has had the sad experience that people suggested that
a Wikipedia was in a particular language while it was not. There are still
Wikipedias where people native to a language object to it because they do
not recognise it as properly written in their language. We have tried to end
such projects and there was no consensus to be had. As a consequence we are
looking for external confirmation that what is written in a language is
indeed written in that language. This can only be done ahead of the creation
of a new project.

Finding an external expert who is willing to provide us with such
confirmation is not always easy. As to Sakha I am really happy with this
project it is one of the best examples of why new Wikipedias make sense.
Thanks,
      GerardM