[Foundation-l] WMF Chapter Development Director job posting

Jon Davis wiki at konsoletek.com
Sun Aug 22 22:50:14 UTC 2010

If I remember my reading from the recent strategy documents, the Foundation
wants to create more awareness amongst the less internet prevalent
countries.  Here in the USA, you could poll several dozen random people on
the street, and likely not find a single person that doesn't know about
Wikipedia (maybe 1, depending on your location and luck).

In fact, it is so prevalent here than anything with the world "Wiki" in it,
is presumed to be Wikipedia.  I know I'm not the only one recently who has
had family/friends ask about WikiLeaks relation to Wikipedia (due to the
major media blitz about their document release).  So, if the Foundation
needs to do something in the USA, it is a PR campaign to clarify such
misunderstandings - but this thread isn't about that.

According to Meta [1] "Wikimedia  chapters are independent organizations
founded to support and promote the Wikimedia projects within a specified
geographical region (country)."  Since the Foundation is USA based, and a
majority of editors speak English... promotion in a country in which most of
the population are already aware of what Wikipedia is... doesn't seem
terribly high priority (At least to me).  Chapters are supposed to
support/promote in their areas because they'll have a MUCH better
understanding of the cultures, and that really is the critical component.
If you can get local people

Also, as someone involved with the proposed Wikimedia California [2]
chapter, there is an issue of Geography.  We (volunteers) in Northern Cali
have had trouble working with SoCal simply because of size (amongst other
reasons).  SoCal is less interested in what we are up to when it is an 8
hour drive for them to attend.  California the state is larger than the
entire country Germany (by about 20% more).  Granted California is one of
the larger states, but my point is that a USA chapter formed just like every
other countries...may not work.  If proper state level groups were
established first, then it would have a much better chance.

Not saying it isn't possible, just a lot of work for currently little return
(as I see it).

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_chapters

[2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_California
-Jon