[Foundation-l] WMF Chapter Development Director job posting

Robert S. Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Sun Aug 22 22:48:16 UTC 2010

On 08/22/2010 03:51 PM, Steven Walling wrote:
> Gerard,
>
> As a Wikimedia from the United States, I think I can speak to concern about
> a lack of a U.S. chapter.
>
> There are many factors that have thus far held back the formation of a
> chapter in my country, some of which are unique because of the history of
> the movement, and some of which we share with other large, developed nations
> with high levels of Internet penetration.
>
> I can go into them at length if you like, but suffice it to say that I don't
> think the lack of the U.S. chapter in any way devalues Wikimedia's focus on
> chapter development outside the U.S., Barry's work, or the prospective hire
> at the Foundation.
>
> Steven Walling

One of the things that removes the dire need of a Wikimedia Chapter in
America is the fact that the WMF itself already collect money as a
"charitable organziation", so the fundraising aspect isn't nearly so big
of a deal to further the cause of Wikimedia projects.  It is also a huge
country where trying to organize on a national basis is a bit more
difficult.  Consider this as if there was an "European Union" chapter
encompassing all EU countries simultaneously.

There have been efforts for more local nature such as Wikimedia
Pennsylvania and Wikimedia New York.  If there ought to be some kind of
focus for an organizational effort with Wikimedia volunteers on a
geographical basis, more organizations of this nature ought to be
encouraged and developed.  Indeed I would strongly suggest that state or
regional chapters ought to be treated as co-equals with Wikimedia
chapters in other countries.  By regional I also could see separate
chapters for Austin and San Antonio Texas, or for some multi-state
chapters in some areas where appropriate.

If there is some need to organize on a "national" basis in the USA, it
ought to be after these local chapters are formed and perhaps as a
support network to encourage other local chapters to be developed within
America.  Then again, on that basis it might be useful to just go ahead
and simply organize on a continental or large scale regional basis
instead.  I've toyed around with the idea of starting one of those
chapters on a local basis near where I live, but I've put it off due to
other activities in my life that has drawn off my attention lately.

Robert Horning