[Foundation-l] Push translation

Michael Galvez michaelcg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 20:35:21 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 9:45 PM, stevertigo <stvrtg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael Galvez <michaelcg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sorry for coming into this discussion a bit late.  I'm one of the members
> of
> > Google's translation team, and I wanted to make myself available for
> > feedback/questions.
>
> Thanks for stopping by. A few questions: 1) Does GTTK have a specific
> API for Mediawiki markup ("wikitext") itself? 2) Can it be opened up
> for viewing/editing? 3) Does it include the original-language wikitext
> as <!-- hidden--> in the output wikitext?

Translator Toolkit processes generic Media Wiki text, although this is not
an officially supported feature and is largely untested.  If you upload a
UTF-8 file with extension ".mediawiki", Translator Toolkit will try to
render the file in the same way that it renders Wikipedia files.

Re: original-language wikitext, I'm not familiar with that markup.  Can you
clarify?

> > 1. the local Wikipedia community should give Google final OK on what
> > articles should or should not be translated
> > 2. the local Wikipedia community add articles to Google's list
> > 3. the local Wikipedia community can suggest titles for the articles
> > 4. Google's translators will post the articles with their user names, and
> > they will monitor community feedback on their user pages until the
> > translation meets the community's standards
>
> 0) The main issue here is 'concepts of community,' interaction between
> communities, and the creation of "community" between different
> language communities. The more open Google is with us about what it
> wants and what it proposes to do, the more we can be on board with
> helping organize community support.

Understood.  I'm working with PR to release the deck that I presented at
Wikimania.  Will send that along as soon as it's available.