[Foundation-l] Parallel text alignment (was: Push translation)

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 9 01:37:02 UTC 2010

> I read that thread and noticed a lot of confusion. One translator
> admitted she never even tried it, but still had lots of negative stuff
> to say; more than one person said they found it useful (see
> Esperantisto's response), and other people seemed to not realize there
> was a difference between Google Translate and Google Translator
> Toolkit.

GTTK allows you to create your own translation memories, much like Trados or Wordfast. If there is nothing in your memory to correspond, however, you get pretty much the same translation that you get in Google Translate.

In that sense, Google Translate gives us a good indication of what Google's translators get when they start on a Wikipedia article.

You can all try this: go to a random Japanese or German or Hindi WP article, and paste the text into Google Translate to have it translated into your language.

http://translate.google.com/

This is what the translator will have to start from.

A.