[Foundation-l] Call for Volunteers: Wikimedia Research Committee

Gregory Kohs thekohser at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 14:09:08 UTC 2010

Gerard M. says:

Dear Greg,
This is not about criticism but about research. With respect I have not seen
your research papers, I am not aware of your credentials that would make you
a choice to be considered for being part of a research committee.

Given that the work of the committee includes work on policies that have to
do with access to confidential data, it seems to me only natural that your
status as being banned from several Wikis is an other reason why you are
easily disqualified from participating in a research committee.

At that you have had your "test" several times and as a result you are a
known entity.
Thanks,
     GerardM

++++++++++++++++++++

Allow me to make you aware of my credentials, Gerard, since you asked
"with respect".

I'm the Director of Market Research for a company valued at $52
billion.  I've been making a living with market research for 18 years
now.

One of my co-authored research papers was published in a scientific
journal supplement:
http://www.ajronline.org/cgi/data/183/3/DC1/1

I've written a white paper about research for public relations:
http://www.icrsurvey.com/docs/MR%20for%20PR.doc

For the more casual reader, I've maintained an occasional blog on
research since 2005:
http://insidemr.blogspot.com/

And, I've conducted numerous informal but systematic research studies
about Wikimedia properties:
http://www.mywikibiz.com/Wikipedia_Vandalism_Study
http://toolserver.org/~mzmcbride/watcher/<http://toolserver.org/%7Emzmcbride/watcher/>
(You'll have to ask around
about that one.)
http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Survey_about_Wikipedia  (Currently, a
bit slow-going on the analysis, due to editing parameters imposed on
the Wikiversity community by Jimmy Wales)

I am curious about this "access to confidential data" of which you
speak.  This presupposes that other members of the vast Wikimedia
community do currently have access to this confidential data.  Have
they been vetted in some way that you can be assured that they won't
do something with that data more monstrous than what I would ever do
with such data?  I'm trusted with confidential customer account data
by a $52 billion company.

Meanwhile, D. Gerard says:

Trolling blogs probably isn't the best resume item, no. HTH!

No, it's probably not, if only I were "trolling".

Hope that helps!

---
Greg