[Foundation-l] Flagged Protection update for April 29

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 23:20:24 UTC 2010

On 1 May 2010 00:06, William Pietri <william at scissor.com> wrote:
> Hi. Thanks for the comment.
>
> Just to be clear, we didn't completely ignore that comment, or any
> other; we've been going through the comments on phone meetings every
> week. We did, however, fail to respond to that one, which I'm sorry for.
> I'll make sure to bring these up next we talk. Going back through, out
> of 26 comments, I see 3 that didn't get replies, so I'll be sure to get
> those, too. Thanks.
>
> So i can be sure I understand, when you say "nowhere near ready for
> release", are you referring just to those 3 issues? I believe the
> question of speed there has mainly to do with labs, rather than Flagged
> Revs itself, and the other 2 points you mention are suggested UI
> improvements. From your phrasing, I take it you believe those UI changes
> are important enough to delay release?

Well, I haven't done much testing after reporting those issues, since
I was being ignored, so I can't say if there are any other problems.

I just tested the speed and it took about 9 seconds to review. I think
anything over half a second is too long (remember, people need to be
able to review edits without significantly slowing down their RC
patrol), so is labs really nearly 20 times slower than the live site?

I think the order of the items on the page is worth getting right in
the first version. When people are first exposed to a new feature it
needs to be as intuitive as possible. It's hardly a difficult thing to
change, anyway.

I wouldn't call what page I end up on at the end of the process part
of the user interface. It is part of the path through the software. I
also think it is worth getting right from the start.

If people find this new feature annoying, they won't use it (and won't
be likely to start using it once you fix it). If people don't use it,
you have wasted a lot of everyone's time, including your own. That
means you need to get it right first time. That is why you have a test
site - so you can fix all the bugs before going live. You don't put
half-completed code on a top 5 website.