[Foundation-l] clicking on links

teun spaans teun.spaans at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 06:04:50 UTC 2010

Glad someone brings this up.

There are some longstanding questions that I have about wiki(p/m)edia usage
by NON-wiki(p/m)edians (called wikipedians from here on).
I regard a wikipedian as someone who is registered and logged in, and a
non-wikipedian as someone who is not logged in.
That is a choice, something can be said to regard people who are registered
and logged in but never edited anything as non wikipedians, but the
definition above is a bit simpler.

Some questions:
- Where do they non-wikipedians from? Google, favourites/bookmarks?
- How do search? Do they use the search box, or do they arrive from google
and use google for their search?
- Do non-wikipedians use the search box or do they use out internal
hyperlinks?
- How many pages do they visit on average before they find what they are
looking for? And what is the spread?
- Do they use categories for navigation? Or are categories just a hobby or
tool of wikipedians? If they use the categories for navigation, to what
extend?
- Do non wikipedians use the interlanguage links, and to what extend?
- and no doubt others will be able to contribute even more questions.

Non-wikipedians in a sense are our "customers", and to make wikipedia as
useful as possible, i believe we should learn about their behaviour on
wikipedia.

live long and prosper
teun spaans