[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Announcement list is active

Jay Walsh jwalsh at wikimedia.org
Wed Apr 21 18:46:10 UTC 2010

On Apr 21, 2010, at 8:54 AM, Michael Peel wrote:

> On 21 Apr 2010, at 16:08, Thomas Dalton wrote:
>
>> On 21 April 2010 05:43, Huib! <abigor at forgotten-beauty.com> wrote:
>>> Participation announcements for Wiki meet-up
>>>
>>> I'm sure there is a Wiki meet-up every weekend around the globe,
>>> posting
>>> this information to this list will probably spam. People
>>> interested in
>>> joining wiki meet-ups would find it in a local site and this list
>>> would
>>> probably reach to much people. Or there should be more information
>>> like
>>> Wiki meet-ups bigger than X people or something like that.
>>
>> I agree. Meetups, other than Wikimania, should be announced on local
>> lists. I have no interest in meetups that are happening outside the UK
>> since there is no chance I'll be attending them (if I know I'm going
>> to be in another country and would like to know if there will be
>> meetups there while I'm there, I will subscribe the the relevant local
>> list, as I have done in the past).
>
> A summary, once a month or so, of the upcoming meetups could work
> well. I believe that there's a sufficient number of meet-ups that
> there should be something nearby to a significant fraction of the
> audience of the announce list; if not, then a note at the end saying
> "Can't see a meetup near you? Organize one!" might change that over
> time.
>
> It's probably something best appended to other information, though.
> E.g. have a headline of "first meetup in [Country X] planned", or
> coverage of a big in-person event, and then append a list of meetups
> after the main story.
>
> Having said that: there's lots of other things that the announce list
> is better suited for than this.
>
> Mike Peel
>
> P.S. I'm looking forward to the day when we can have geolocated
> sitenotices for advertising meetups etc...

This sounds like a good idea - keeping the list notes short and sweet.  I'm actually quite interested in when meet-ups are happening around the world, but I agree it would be a lot of traffic.  I'm trying to figure out how to be sensitive to traffic issues and needs.  It seems to me that anyone subscribed to this list is opting-in to more info rather than less, but mostly info of 'macro' relevance to chapters and those following the motions of the Foundation.

Let's see how things go and adjust accordingly. Really appreciate everyone's feedback.

--
Jay Walsh
Head of Communications