[Foundation-l] Heads up: Wikipedia on Facebook

Rui Correia correia.rui at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 20:08:31 UTC 2010

I would go with "Contribute to this article - click edit" button that takes
you back to the Wikipedia, where new editors can edit to their hearts'
content without the ads getting into the way of the knowledge project.

Regs,

Rui

On 19 April 2010 22:04, Steven Walling <steven.walling at gmail.com> wrote:

> Will there be any way to encourage/allow people to edit the Wikipedia
> articles Facebook will be using?
>
> On the one hand, I think it's definitely praiseworthy that we have found
> another outlet for distributing Wikipedia articles and thus fulfilling our
> mission. But to be perfectly honest, the idea of a Facebook mirror that
> siphons off potential editors and lets Facebook slap ads around our work
> feels like a bum deal for Wikimedia.
>
> Steven Walling
>
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Kul Takanao Wadhwa
> <kwadhwa at wikimedia.org>wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I just wanted to let you know about new features Facebook is planning on
> > launching later today that involve articles from Wikipedia. Facebook is
> > going to begin integrating Wikipedia’s free knowledge into a new part of
> > the Facebook.com site experience to help users be more connected and
> > informed about the topics and activities that interest them. They're
> > calling this service Facebook Community Pages, portal pages which will
> > be owned and managed by the Facebook community.
> >
> > Wikipedia articles on Facebook will further increase the reach of free
> > knowledge on the internet.  Facebook has hundreds of millions of users,
> > and now more than 70% of their traffic is coming from outside of the US.
> > Our hope is that many Facebook users (if they are not already) will also
> > be inclined to join the large community of Wikipedia contributors.
> > Facebook will follow the free licenses (CC-BY-SA) and help us find more
> > ways people can share knowledge. Furthermore, we will be looking at
> > other ways that both parties can cooperate in the future.
> >
> > Initially it looks like this service will be focussed on English
> > Wikipedia, but considering Facebook's multi-lingual community it seems
> > likely that other languages will be brought in quickly. Because Facebook
> > members build the Community Pages, they will be able to suggest or add
> > more Wikipedia articles (as well as other relevant content from the
> > web).  They will also have a built-in feedback system in case the
> > article provided is not correct or has any display problems.
> >
> > It's going to be a learning situation for both us and them so we'll see
> > how this goes.
> >
> > --Kul
> >
> > --
> > Kul Takanao Wadhwa
> > Head of Business Development
> > Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
> > kul at wikimedia.org
> > (415) 839-6885 ext. 603

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Consultant
Angola Liaison Consultant
2 Cutten St
Horison
Roodepoort-Johannesburg,